Topic: My first suit of Mando armor

Note: this topic was started 16 years ago.

90 posts

Sorted by oldest to newest

Add New Post

Topic #2982

Note: this topic has more than one page. Jump to the last page to see the most recent reply.

September 7, 2008 10:13 pm #

posted a bunch of pics on the merc forums, you dont need an account to view em
check it out! ill update as i go :)

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=7825.0

"Those with the ability to lead, have the responsibility to do so."
September 8, 2008 8:38 am #

Awesome! You really put a lot thought into this

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying
September 8, 2008 1:08 pm #

wow very nice, are those reference pics you used from SWG?

September 8, 2008 1:56 pm #

its good to see some more costumers,
awesome job by the way, the sw galaxies version will mix things up a little.
if you need any tips or help, this is the place. (though im not sure you need it)

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
September 8, 2008 4:36 pm #

It's lookin' good man.   I like your colors; pretty simple yet menacing

"You set a code to live by. I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."
September 10, 2008 11:52 pm #

posted some updates
heres a preview of the build so far...

September 11, 2008 12:06 am #

I love the shotgun/blaster  :D   Great plates for you boots; those will look great.  The chest armor looks good as well, but I hope it doesn't give you a problem with a lack of flexibility not having the two breast pieces seperated.

hoping to post pics of what I've got soon; should have them up by the weekend if not sooner

"You set a code to live by. I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted...I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other men, and I require the same from them."
September 11, 2008 5:20 am (Edited June 10, 2015 06:09 pm) #

You may find some flexibility issue arise from the breastplates being one piece, I made a sert like that for someone a while back and he found he wasn't able to move quite as freely as I and others can in traditional Mando plates. That said once he grew accustomed to the restrictions they presented little problem to him and he was able to work around them.

[Editor's Note: kotemandos.com is no longer active.]

That armour has long since been upgraded but you can see the similar torso plates.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/OrtharRrith/OrtharRrith-1.jpg[/img]
September 11, 2008 6:15 pm #

Another thing you can do is use thick hard leather as a backing for the plates.  11-13oz leather is THICK!  However, it will flex and give you some extra movement and comfort.  This will make them look like once piece but not be all one piece.

Mandálii kote. Eran, vode, c'rtä! - Mandalorian Glory. We, brothers, stand as one!
[url=http://mercs.firespray.net]Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club[/url]
September 13, 2008 7:15 pm #

starting to look really familiar...

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=7825.0

September 13, 2008 9:15 pm #

That's Niiiiiiice!  The outline looks a little darker on the real thing to me, even better I think   :D

September 13, 2008 9:24 pm (Edited September 13, 2008 09:56 pm) #

What are toy using to make the armor plates? I really really really need to get on myself to make some just want to know whats best. I could never stand to have one of these costumes:  http://cache.halloweenmart.com/images/ip018115.jpg And yours looks quite nice.

...I live by one rule and it is this: Freedom. Enslave no one and be no ones slave. No more no less. I am a hunter and no one rules me. - Alo Fett
September 13, 2008 9:44 pm #

Your link isn't working for me...might be my connection.  but I'm assuming it's one of those coverall things with the armor painted on?  yeah, those suck....

If you're a creator, I'll leave this one to the experts

If you're a buyer, eBay is the place I've got nearly everything I have.  I hope to create most of my own armor eventually, but I'm starting with FanMade products to get me started, and later I'll slowly replace things as I learn how it's done.

If you've got the cash and don't have the creating skills, that's the way I'd suggest.  If you think you're up to cutting/molding plastic/sintra/fiberglass/whatever, then go for it and wait for one of the 'Armor Masters' to guild you   

Good luck!    :)

September 13, 2008 9:58 pm #

Fixed. it should work now.

I heard about some sort of PVC foam stuff that sounded good but I can't remember the name. I'll stop posting about my own stuff so I don't steel the thread.

...I live by one rule and it is this: Freedom. Enslave no one and be no ones slave. No more no less. I am a hunter and no one rules me. - Alo Fett
September 13, 2008 10:51 pm #

no worries mate!

the pvc you are talking about is called Sintra
its what im using, 6mm
theres all different sizes tho
its basically sheets of pvc that you can put into an oven after you cut and kinda mold around
heres some more of my progress...

feel free to check out the mercs link i have given and look around for any costuming questions, or the dented helmet is a great resource also!

September 13, 2008 11:02 pm #

Hot DAMN that looks good!  You've been making some really fast progress as well!

My only suggestion would be that the chest piece looks like it could use a little more curve, as the bottom points seem to stick out some.  Otherwise looks darn near perfect!  Great job!  :D

September 13, 2008 11:08 pm (Edited September 13, 2008 11:09 pm) #

ya i have to still attach the sides
i basically snapped all the tops of my plates on and ran to take a pic haha
its got curve to it but i need to fasten the sides and bottoms of all the plates in place to hold it hehe

plus im missing all the arms armor, collar plate, kneepades and back still
lots left to do!

September 14, 2008 9:43 am #

great job so far

im really impressed with your progress

and the gun is awesome
:D

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.
September 14, 2008 11:37 am #

Looking good there vod! Someday ner'vode someday...........

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."
September 14, 2008 12:14 pm #

That looks really good...Can you send me something that tells me how to make my own?

"I swear by the soul I don't have, I am going to kill you."
―Boba Fett
September 14, 2008 12:28 pm #

Oh there are lots of sites for that.. Orthar's Kote Mandos is a good one... Norvall Talon's ( i forget what its called sorry) is another. Its almost OVER information for SI the blonde.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."
September 14, 2008 1:09 pm #

Novall Talon's site is firespray.net ;)

"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."--
Train your sons to be strong, and your daughters to be stronger.
September 15, 2008 6:27 am #

Or mandalorianmercs.com

Mandálii kote. Eran, vode, c'rtä! - Mandalorian Glory. We, brothers, stand as one!
[url=http://mercs.firespray.net]Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club[/url]
September 15, 2008 1:15 pm #

way to promote..
:P

September 15, 2008 1:53 pm #

wow, beats SWG's green armor! gj, hope to see more work.

September 15, 2008 7:33 pm #

Nice Job! I really like the gun

Church... when I die I want you to have my orange juice!
September 15, 2008 8:19 pm #

thanks guys
and Novall is welcome to advertise anytime! he works hard on that mercs site heh

a bit more of my progress...

September 16, 2008 1:25 pm #

most impressive...

September 26, 2008 5:10 pm (Edited September 26, 2008 05:11 pm) #

updates...

September 26, 2008 8:22 pm #

Looking good, vod. I envy you. I'd love a set of armor, I simply don't have the time nor motivation to do it. In other words, I'm too lazy to make. And its hard to find good armor to buy.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--
September 26, 2008 9:48 pm #
Werda Verd wrote:

And its hard to find good armor to buy.

buy?
gotta make the bulk of your suit yourself vod, its half the fun!

September 27, 2008 12:16 am #

That's awesome, maccoy!

[i]In my book, experience outranks everything...[/i]
September 27, 2008 12:25 am #

Great job man!  Are you in the MandalorianMercs?  You should be able to join with what you have already

September 27, 2008 2:55 am #

Very nice. Are you going to add anything to the top of the backplate? You look a little exposed there. Personally I think the rifle looks too much like a modern shotgun, but that's just my opinion; don't let that discourage you.

Werda Verd: There are people out there that will make top quality armour for you if you know where to look... ;)

September 27, 2008 7:36 am #

i likes the gun

September 27, 2008 11:07 am #
Orthar wrote:

Werda Verd: There are people out there that will make top quality armour for you if you know where to look... ;)

And if you are a millionaire!  :P :D

If you run, I can track you. If you hide, I will find you. If you fight, I will watch you fall......
September 27, 2008 12:31 pm #
Kelborn wrote:

And if you are a millionaire!  :P :D

lol I never charge THAT much... a few hundred thousand maybe... but never a million :D

September 27, 2008 2:02 pm #
Ralin Drakus wrote:

Great job man!  Are you in the MandalorianMercs?  You should be able to join with what you have already

yes actually, ive been a member of their forums for a couple months and just applied for full membership last night through Mr. A'den Skirata (BFFC's spotlight fan).

Orthar wrote:

Very nice. Are you going to add anything to the top of the backplate? You look a little exposed there. Personally I think the rifle looks too much like a modern shotgun, but that's just my opinion; don't let that discourage you.

well the backplate im actually mounting higher once i fasten everything down permanent, that was more of just a test fitting. and ya the rifle is cobbled together from enough airsoft guns it shouldnt look too realistic tho. better than a nerf gun imo...

Fett_II wrote:

i likes the gun

me too hehe

September 29, 2008 7:15 pm #

September 29, 2008 7:17 pm #

That is sweet, love the armor. The rifle looks cool too. :D

"This IS my signature."
October 8, 2008 12:50 am #

video test 1
95% complete suit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3tBWoplSg

October 11, 2008 9:42 pm #

and here it is

my brother came home from school and helped me finish the suit tonight.
this week im gonna buy that fett pocket belt off ebay and thats really only the last piece
so
this is me right now:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

October 11, 2008 10:00 pm #

REALLY awesome ner vod!  And you did it so Fast!  I'm amazed

Great job

October 11, 2008 10:07 pm #

So jealous right now.

[i]"Sir, Finishing this Cake."[/i]
October 12, 2008 5:52 am #

Me too. What helmet did you use?

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yff3jH8NECs]"Touch my Awesome Button."[/url]
--Captain Dynamic--
October 12, 2008 5:56 am #

Nice stuff dude.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]
October 12, 2008 6:39 am #
Werda Verd wrote:

Me too. What helmet did you use?

my signed 1997 don post
broke my heart to sand it down

October 12, 2008 9:13 am #

Nice, cus it looks good. Did you change it much, other than paint? Cus the Don Post helmet (or some) look a little narrow and unnatural, but your looks good.

--Captain Dynamic--
October 12, 2008 12:14 pm #

the newer ones are crappy molded plastic
this thing was one of the ollld really thick plastic helmets that they dont make anymore cuz its way cheaper to use thinner materials heh
i mean i did a lot of work in puttying over the dent, sanding down the paint, repainting, cutting the visor, etc
but no re-forming whatsoever

October 12, 2008 6:45 pm #

I don't know whether to be paralyzed in awe of you or inspired to make my own suit of armor. Great job Mc Coy!

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Note: this topic has more than one page. Jump to the last page to see the most recent reply.

Add New Post

See the most recent post(s) above. Reply below with your thoughts on this topic.

Note: the last post in this topic was 14 years ago.

Sorry, you must be logged in and have an upgraded account to add a board post.

Login

No BFFC account yet? Create a free account.

Join