Topic: Karen Traviss...

doesn't it **** you off that Traviss can write about Boba like she does? Let me explain myself:

MANY books and comics state that Jango wanted Boba to be a bounty hunter. Traviss says Jango wanted him to be a father and a Mandalore.
Boba doesn't have a soft side, although he has a respectful, intelligent side. Why does traviss state otherwise? He has no soft side. Also, for those of you who have read Bloodlines, Boba didn't kill Jacen for killing Boba's own daughter? I think he would have. And Traviss has no right to write about Boba as she does. She doesn't ask any of us fans for our say. I hate how she can just write about him and bend him into a charactar she wants him to be. It's WRONG.

Re: Karen Traviss...

I agree 100% I hate her

Your god won't be there to save you, or maybe I will

Re: Karen Traviss...

i dont like the whole boba and his soft side thing but come on guys, shes like the only writer who will write about him

Re: Karen Traviss...

Yah that does kind'a smell I would say that most of us here would say that thats not cannon.

...I live by one rule and it is this: Freedom. Enslave no one and be no ones slave. No more no less. I am a hunter and no one rules me.  - Alo Fett

Re: Karen Traviss...

I hate Traviss and I hate what she's done to the Fetts, to Mandalorians, to Clonetroopers. And I hate how some people absolutely adore and worship her for her crimes.

Reality doesn't care if you believe in it.
[url]http://www.townparkradio.com[/url] - Video Game Remix Music

Re: Karen Traviss...

uh, people, hello, she is George Lucas approved.  If you don't  like the books don't read them.  I personally love them.  and Zeek, she didn't say that Jango wanted Boba to be a father and Mandalore, but that he just isn't sure if his dad wanted it or not.  go back and read it again.  although I'm sure Jango wouldn't mind Boba being either.  and he doesn't strike me as soft either.  if you found out you had a grandchild you didn't know about, you'd be curious too, because it is human nature.  and If you go back and read, he didn't kill Jacen because he thought that having him turn to the dark side would be the ultimate revenge.  he saw what happened to Vader, so he know it isn't going to be a happy ending for him, and thinks Jacen wouldd be better punished by having to live with that than by cutting his misery short by killing him.  I mean, think about it logically.  when everyone finds out that he killed (im not giving a name in case someone hasn't read Sacrifice yet), they are going to hate him.  even his daughter.   Sounds like a bad fate to me.

"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."--
Train your sons to be strong, and your daughters to be stronger.

Re: Karen Traviss...

Zeek_Fett wrote:

doesn't it **** you off that Traviss can write about Boba like she does? Let me explain myself:

MANY books and comics state that Jango wanted Boba to be a bounty hunter. Traviss says Jango wanted him to be a father and a Mandalore.
Boba doesn't have a soft side, although he has a respectful, intelligent side. Why does traviss state otherwise? He has no soft side. Also, for those of you who have read Bloodlines, Boba didn't kill Jacen for killing Boba's own daughter? I think he would have. And Traviss has no right to write about Boba as she does. She doesn't ask any of us fans for our say. I hate how she can just write about him and bend him into a charactar she wants him to be. It's WRONG.

WHERE she gets the idea that Jango wanted Boba Fett to be a father and a Mandalore I don't have a CLUE! She is definitely using a lot of artistic lisense if you ask me.

A man's worst enemy can't wish on him what he can think up himself. Yiddish saying

Re: Karen Traviss...

First of all, she does not need to consult the fans on ANYTHING. The fact that Lucas approved her means she can pretty much do anything with Boba. Also, I see where you guys are coming from with the whole changing of his character thing, but to tell you the truth no one really knew what he was really like. She had to fill in the blanks. Most of the other comics and stuff that revealed small bits about Fett are non-canon. And for me really, I dont see her "giving him a soft side". I see her giving him a soul. If I wanted a souless killing machine I would be a member of the IG-88 Fan Club, not the Boba Fett one. The fact that he is human means that he has a soul, regardless of the fact that he is a clone by the way. She is writing him realistically. A man of his age, and a man who has seen all the things he's seen and been through everything he's been through eventually begins to wonder what he's really going to do with his life. In Bloodlines, he is beginning to realize that he now has a responsibility to restore the Mando's to their former glory as well as take care of his family. He saw that this is what his father had done for him, and if he really cares about his father then he understands that he must take after him, not only as a bounty hunter, but as a father and a Mandalorian. Traviss is making him HUMAN. Boba is human anyways. Theres a point where he must be responsible for himself, his family, and his people as his father had done. If he really loved his father and understood him then he knows that Jango Fett was not only a bounty hunter. He was a good father and proud Mandalorian. Boba knows that now its time to finish what his father started. Being the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy is nothing compared to the task of restoring his family and the Mandalorians. Traviss is just making Fett capable of accomplishing such a feat.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Karen Traviss...

She may be making him human, but not all people have the whole "I WANNA FAMILY!" sorta stuff.

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Karen Traviss...

Well after being alone for nearly all of his life I would think that Boba Fett would be a candidate for someone wanting a family. He saw the bond he had with his father, and the example Jango set. To completely follow in Jango's footsteps as he wants Boba would need to take responsibity for his family and his people just as Jango had done.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

11 (edited by cujo Saturday, October 20, 2007 11:26 pm)

Re: Karen Traviss...

...said it once, said it many times.

fett is, and should be a one note character.
yes, we all want more fett adventures-hunting, merc work, etc.
but leave fetts history alone-oh wait too late. the mystery and lone wolf attitude is what makes fett. boba is the character that goes out in a blaze-not the guy with a picket fence and 2.5 kids.
karen travis took liberties and even if lucas arts gave her the green light-doesnt make her choices sound-just means that lucas is slipping as well.
IMO

"mmmm, pistol whip." -Homer Simpson
[url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42831046]Cujos' MySpace[/url]

Re: Karen Traviss...

Actually, I think Bloodlines is more suited as a Fanfiction, not a published piece of work. It way too out of character for Boba. Other author's handled him WAY better (like in Bounty Hunter Wars for instance.) The only cool thing in the stories is that Mando'a is now an "official" language.

Anyway, she really doesn't have to ask fans what they think. It would be nice if she did, but really, the only person that she really has to consult is George Lucas.

"Did I ever tell you how much I like ants huh? Especially fried in a subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?"
-Rampage, Beast Wars

Re: Karen Traviss...

cujo wrote:

...said it once, said it many times.

fett is, and should be a one note character.
yes, we all want more fett adventures-hunting, merc work, etc.
but leave fetts history alone-oh wait too late. the mystery and lone wolf attitude is what makes fett. boba is the character that goes out in a blaze-not the guy with a picket fence and 2.5 kids.
karen travis took liberties and even if lucas arts gave her the green light-doesnt make her choices sound-just means that lucas is slipping as well.
IMO

Lucas has been slipping for quite some time...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Karen Traviss...

But Karen did much to define what it is to be a "modern" Mando and develope much of a Mandalorian culture in the last days of the Old Republic, the Empire and the New Republic eras. Isn't she the one who came up with Mando'a? She does have some redeming qualities.

Meat is murder...... tasty tasty murder.
"Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard."

Re: Karen Traviss...

Thylacine wrote:

Actually, I think Bloodlines is more suited as a Fanfiction, not a published piece of work. It way too out of character for Boba. Other author's handled him WAY better (like in Bounty Hunter Wars for instance.) The only cool thing in the stories is that Mando'a is now an "official" language.

Anyway, she really doesn't have to ask fans what they think. It would be nice if she did, but really, the only person that she really has to consult is George Lucas.

Yeah, wish she asked for fan input.....

[i]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed[/i]
[url=http://lfgcomic.com/page/1]Interrogations are hard...[/url]

Re: Karen Traviss...

Karen did indeed ask several fans, including award-winning costumed fans, including our very own BFFC member:

http://www.bobafett.com/boards/viewtopic.php?id=720

But Mando_sniper, who I met at C4 in Los Angeles this year, isn't your typical fan.

aaron@bobafettfanclub.com

Re: Karen Traviss...

I haven't read any Fett books by her, but I absolutely LOVE the stuff that she's written about clones. Like Valthonin said, she gave clones souls, personalities, etc (I know you using the Fetts as an example, Val, but this applies, right?). I believe that she portrayed them very realistically, IMHO. I'm sure to some the clones are too emotional, I guess the word would be, but in my mind they've been shoved out into the real world with no real concept of interaction/happiness etc outside their squads/regiments whatever. IMO, she's humanized them very well (Not to mention that she has an absolutely amazing writing style!)


And although I certainly don't worship her, I do like her books an awful lot! big_smile

"Whoever is a highly evolved, super-genius raise your hand."  *raises hand*   "Oh."     
-----[color=#FF0000]Rodney McKay[/color]

Re: Karen Traviss...

I think with any interest, you should take it with a grain of salt, so to speak.  You don't have to like every little tid bit you find.  Books are just like CDs, you may not like every book or chapter, just like you may not like every single song. 

I commend her for giving it a try and having to deal with the backlash of fans that only like their Boba a certain way.

Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius.~ Fulton J. Sheen

Re: Karen Traviss...

RC-3222 wrote:

(I know you using the Fetts as an example, Val, but this applies, right?)

It certainly does.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Karen Traviss...

Valthonin wrote:

First of all, she does not need to consult the fans on ANYTHING. The fact that Lucas approved her means she can pretty much do anything with Boba. Also, I see where you guys are coming from with the whole changing of his character thing, but to tell you the truth no one really knew what he was really like. She had to fill in the blanks. Most of the other comics and stuff that revealed small bits about Fett are non-canon. And for me really, I dont see her "giving him a soft side". I see her giving him a soul. If I wanted a souless killing machine I would be a member of the IG-88 Fan Club, not the Boba Fett one. The fact that he is human means that he has a soul, regardless of the fact that he is a clone by the way. She is writing him realistically. A man of his age, and a man who has seen all the things he's seen and been through everything he's been through eventually begins to wonder what he's really going to do with his life. In Bloodlines, he is beginning to realize that he now has a responsibility to restore the Mando's to their former glory as well as take care of his family. He saw that this is what his father had done for him, and if he really cares about his father then he understands that he must take after him, not only as a bounty hunter, but as a father and a Mandalorian. Traviss is making him HUMAN. Boba is human anyways. Theres a point where he must be responsible for himself, his family, and his people as his father had done. If he really loved his father and understood him then he knows that Jango Fett was not only a bounty hunter. He was a good father and proud Mandalorian. Boba knows that now its time to finish what his father started. Being the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy is nothing compared to the task of restoring his family and the Mandalorians. Traviss is just making Fett capable of accomplishing such a feat.

Here, here.  I agree with you totally on this one.  From what I've read, she certainly hasn't made him softer.  Human, definitely.  More able to identify with, yes.  But, he's still the baddest bounty hunter out there.  That much certainly hasn't changed.

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

Re: Karen Traviss...

While we're on the topic, I also wanted to remind everyone that Republic Commando: True Colors comes out today, so run out now and get a copy. 

I just got home from a little bit ago and found that my wife, being the sweetheart that she is, had gotten me a copy for my birthday, so it was sitting on my laptop when I came in.  It pays to have someone on the inside.

wink

Anyway, read the first chapter and, as always, it doesn't disappoint.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I know I will.  I heard that her next one is called Republic Commando: Order 66 and should be out around July next year.  Enjoy guys.

--Sadriel Fett (BFFC Moderator)
"I'm just a simple Fan, trying to make my way in the universe."

22 (edited by Devil Girl Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:56 pm)

Re: Karen Traviss...

I really enjoy reading the books that she has written and if it were not for her there would be no Boba in the latest series. I like reading about Boba smile (and my son enjoyed me reading Boba fett books to him as well)

Stranger H. wrote:

I think with any interest, you should take it with a grain of salt, so to speak.  You don't have to like every little tid bit you find.  Books are just like CDs, you may not like every book or chapter, just like you may not like every single song. 

I commend her for giving it a try and having to deal with the backlash of fans that only like their Boba a certain way.

I agree and I also agree with what you have said Valthonin smile

Jedi photographer - May the focus be with me.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/devil_girl/]Photographs[/url]

Re: Karen Traviss...

Thank you guys, I thought i was alone for a second there...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
I am a Role Playing Gamer, like my father before me.

Re: Karen Traviss...

Valthonin wrote:

First of all, she does not need to consult the fans on ANYTHING. The fact that Lucas approved her means she can pretty much do anything with Boba. Also, I see where you guys are coming from with the whole changing of his character thing, but to tell you the truth no one really knew what he was really like. She had to fill in the blanks. Most of the other comics and stuff that revealed small bits about Fett are non-canon. And for me really, I dont see her "giving him a soft side". I see her giving him a soul. If I wanted a souless killing machine I would be a member of the IG-88 Fan Club, not the Boba Fett one. The fact that he is human means that he has a soul, regardless of the fact that he is a clone by the way. She is writing him realistically. A man of his age, and a man who has seen all the things he's seen and been through everything he's been through eventually begins to wonder what he's really going to do with his life. In Bloodlines, he is beginning to realize that he now has a responsibility to restore the Mando's to their former glory as well as take care of his family. He saw that this is what his father had done for him, and if he really cares about his father then he understands that he must take after him, not only as a bounty hunter, but as a father and a Mandalorian. Traviss is making him HUMAN. Boba is human anyways. Theres a point where he must be responsible for himself, his family, and his people as his father had done. If he really loved his father and understood him then he knows that Jango Fett was not only a bounty hunter. He was a good father and proud Mandalorian. Boba knows that now its time to finish what his father started. Being the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy is nothing compared to the task of restoring his family and the Mandalorians. Traviss is just making Fett capable of accomplishing such a feat.

You are definitely not alone, Val!  I couldn't have said it better.

"Human" is the key.  Humans by nature are very complex creatures, and make for interesting writing no matter what galaxy they are in.

"Train your sons to be strong, but your daughters to be stronger."--Karen Traviss, Bloodlines

Re: Karen Traviss...

i loved the clone books.shes very girly and wants to make characters to be family oriented,or she would not want to write about them.she has reinvented boba fett to some degree.jesters fett did show abit of protectiveness to the girl who travelled with him.its very understated though.

SF is what life is all about.